KARACHI: MCC Preventive Karachi has recovered 27 tons of illegally imported betel nut from another Export Promotion Zone (EPZ) container at Karachi International Container Terminal (KICT).
The consignment imported from Jebel Ali, UAE was jointly examined by MCC Preventive, MCC Export Port Qasim and MCC Appraisement West in the presence of Court’s reader.
An official said that this latest recovery of betel nut was the result of investigations related to earlier seizure of betel nut from M/s Sun Gravure. Official said two persons including Khalid and Mirza Mustehsam had been identified and their payment details were being scrutinized.
It was known that after clearance of the container through mis-declaration at port area, the restricted betel nut was to be removed in clandestine way. It is interesting to note that the name of M/s Sun Gravure was earlier mentioned in the manifest but later it was removed, which raises suspicion on the role of shipping agent in this entire ordeal.
It may be mentioned here that MCC Preventive has been quite effective in curbing betel nut smuggling. Additional Collector Aamir Theim and Deputy Collector Muhammad Faisal have made several detections and foiled many attempts to smuggle various goods particularly betel nut.
Betel nut import through mis-declaration has become a highly profitable business due to very high margins. It is known that certain other businesses such as clearing agents, importers, manufacturers and builders as well as Customs officers/officials have indulged into illegitimate import of betel nut.
Al Doc PDF File/Link
- IRENA and RES4Africa partner to accelerate renewables in Africa 18-Jul-2019
- ECC imposes ban on export of wheat, wheat flour 18-Jul-2019
- Huawei to invest around $100 million in Pakistan this year 18-Jul-2019
- BOI organized B2B meetings for the US Pakistan Business Council delegation 18-Jul-2019
- Customs Intelligence recovers smuggled paracetamol worth $0.2 million 17-Jul-2019
- Director I&I advises Irshad Shah to continue as Superintendent ASO 17-Jul-2019
- Contempt notice issued to Commissioner RTO Corporate Sector, Zone 1 Sahara Welfare Association moves SHC 17-Jul-2019
- 7th FPCCI achievements awards ceremony on July 25th 17-Jul-2019
- Sales tax exemption on gas, electricity supply to hospitals withdrawn 17-Jul-2019
- FBR directs Customs to implement budgetary measures pertaining to the items listed in Third Schedule 17-Jul-2019