KARACHI: MCC Preventive Karachi has recovered 27 tons of illegally imported betel nut from another Export Promotion Zone (EPZ) container at Karachi International Container Terminal (KICT).
The consignment imported from Jebel Ali, UAE was jointly examined by MCC Preventive, MCC Export Port Qasim and MCC Appraisement West in the presence of Court’s reader.
An official said that this latest recovery of betel nut was the result of investigations related to earlier seizure of betel nut from M/s Sun Gravure. Official said two persons including Khalid and Mirza Mustehsam had been identified and their payment details were being scrutinized.
It was known that after clearance of the container through mis-declaration at port area, the restricted betel nut was to be removed in clandestine way. It is interesting to note that the name of M/s Sun Gravure was earlier mentioned in the manifest but later it was removed, which raises suspicion on the role of shipping agent in this entire ordeal.
It may be mentioned here that MCC Preventive has been quite effective in curbing betel nut smuggling. Additional Collector Aamir Theim and Deputy Collector Muhammad Faisal have made several detections and foiled many attempts to smuggle various goods particularly betel nut.
Betel nut import through mis-declaration has become a highly profitable business due to very high margins. It is known that certain other businesses such as clearing agents, importers, manufacturers and builders as well as Customs officers/officials have indulged into illegitimate import of betel nut.
Al Doc PDF File/Link
- SHC stays encashment of security, releases goods 22-Jan-2019
- Provisional release of LED, inverters consignment ordered 22-Jan-2019
- Careem Pakistan proposes system for remittances, where expats can optionally invest 22-Jan-2019
- Power Minister orders measures to reduce line losses 22-Jan-2019
- Ministry preparing investor-friendly regulations for investment in Gwadar 22-Jan-2019
- FPCCI terms Gas infrastructure development Cess unjustified 21-Jan-2019
- Pakistan’s first AI Analyst/Advisor launched 21-Jan-2019
- PTCL hosts startups from NIC Peshawar 21-Jan-2019
- Foreign currency buying selling rates 21-Jan-2019
- SHC seeks compliance report in polythene bags case 21-Jan-2019