GWADAR: In a major crackdown on fuel smuggling, the Intelligence and Investigation-Customs (I&I-Customs) of Gwadar seized two tankers loaded with 80,000 liters of smuggled high-speed diesel (HSD) oil on Sunday. The seized HSD oil is worth Rs. 26.40 million, while the total value of the seizure, including the offending vehicles, is Rs. 41.40 million.
According to a press release issued by the I&I-Customs, the operation was carried out on the directions of Mr. Faiz Ahmad, Director General of I&I-Customs, and under the supervision of Mr. Moeen Afzal Ali, Director of I&I-Customs Gwadar. The team, led by Mr. Muhammad Sadiq, Intelligence Officer, intercepted the two tankers in the district of Hub, Baluchistan, with the help of local police.
The tankers were found to be carrying fake invoices issued by an oil marketing company, which were verified and confirmed to be forged. The smugglers were trying to evade customs duty and taxes by using these fake documents.
The smugglers are resorting to such tactics as there is a strict crackdown on Irani fuel smuggling in the country. The I&I-Customs vowed to continue its aggressive anti-smuggling drive and take action against those involved in such illegal activities.
The Director General of I&I-Customs appreciated the efforts of the Gwadar team and congratulated them on their successful operation. He also urged the public to cooperate with the customs authorities and report any suspicious activity related to smuggling.
In last two weeks, I&I-Customs, Gwadar seizes Essential Commodities, Betel Nuts, Gutkha and NDP Vehicles worth Rs. 83.08 million.
Continuing with its aggressive crackdown against smuggling, I&I-Customs, Gwadar made the following seizures within last two weeks:
1. On 28.09.2023, the Directorate foiled an attempt of smuggling of 599 nonduty paid HTV / LTV Rims valuing Rs. 6.99 million.
2. On 28.09.2023 betel nuts valuing Rs. 1.05 million were seized along with offending vehicle. The total value of seizure comes to *Rs. 2.55 million.
3. Moreover, 12 non-duty paid vehicles viz: Toyota Cygnus 2005, Toyota Land Cruiser 2004, Toyota Axio 2009, Toyota Aqua 2015, Toyota Prius 2012 etc. were seized. The combined value of NDP vehicles seized by the Directorate is Rs. 56.50 million.
4. The Directorate’s team raided a godown located at main RCD Highway, district Hub wherein 1,050 bags of sugar were found. The owner / claimant produced three NOCs for transportation of sugar. When confirmed from the Deputy Commissioner district Hub office, two out of three NOCs were fake / forged. The value of seized sugar is Rs. 10.50 million. FIR for the offence of tampering documents has been lodged and investigation is underway.
5. On 29.09.2023, 2,970 packets of Indian origin Guthka and 200 Kgs of Betel Nuts were seized with the assistance of local Police. The seizure value comes to Rs. 6.54 million.
The total value of 16 seizures, effected in two weeks, comes to Rs. 83.08 million. The overall performance of the month of September, 2023 is Rs. 142.38 million.
The anti-smuggling performance of first quarter i-e July to September, 2023 is Rs. 420.66 million as against Rs. 74.18 million in the previous corresponding period.