KARACHI: Customs staff posted at Jinnah International Airport Karachi has continued crackdown on illegal movement of contrabands and commercial goods.
on the directives of Collector Preventive Saquif Saeed, Deputy Collector JIAP Inamullah Wazir has advised the staff to tighten the information system and keep strict vigilanceon the movement of passengers and cargo.
In the last three days the following cases have been instituted:
1) A passenger going to Dubai through Emirates airline has been intercepted,after he had crossed ASF and ANF checks at departure lounge, and a recovery of 1kg silver and 110gm gold has been affected which he had concealed in his baggage. FIR has be lodged and the passenger has been arrested.
2) Two passengers coming from Dubai have been caught with commercial goods worth more than 10 million including watches, cellphones, sunglasses and other electronic items. These goods were shown as passenger baggage and if not intercepted, it could cause a loss of millions of rupees to the National exchequer. FIR lodged and both the passengers have been arrested.
3) A seizure of 18 antique coins has been affected at International Mail office Karachi by Drugs Enforcement Cell of Customs Karachi Airport.The parcel was booked from North Nazimabad Karachi to Brazil.This seizure is in continuation of a similar seizure of 7 antique coins a month back; 5 of those coins were certified to be of Kushan rule (between 2nd &4th century AD) and 2 of Islamic era by the Archeology and Museums dept. There is possibility of an organised gang involved in smuggling precious antique assets out of Pakistan.
4) In a similar case 10 antique currency bills of Usmania khilafat era have been intercepted by Customs Karachi airport staff booked from Lahore to Turkey and interdicted at International Mail Office Karachi.cases have been registered in both cases and investigation is on to unearth the network.
5) In various other seizures in the last two days, goods worth 5million including liquor have been seized from passengers’ baggage at Karachi airport.
Total value of goods seized is more than Rs20 million, while three persons were arrested.