KARACHI: In order to stabilize the prices of potatoes, the FBR issued notifications to allow extension in duty and tax free import of the vegetable.
The revenue board on Friday issued three SROs allowing exemption of regulatory duty, sales tax and income tax on import of potatoes till November 2015.
The FBR issued the SROs complying to the decision taken by Economic Coordination Committee of the Cabinet in July in order to keep the price of potatoes stable in the local market.
Earlier, the duty and tax exemption was granted in May after the decision of the cabinet.
The ECC on April 25th, 2014 allowed duty free import of potatoes to bring down the high prices manipulated by hoarders and middle-men.
At the meeting on the said date ECC was informed that if immediate duty free import is not allowed, than the potatoes would be selling at very high price during Ramadan.
It was in this context that the Finance Minister approved appropriate measures to control the prices, in coordination with the provincial governments.
The ECC allowed the import of 100,000 metric tons of potatoes in addition to already approved 200,000 metric tons at zero duties; this extension will continue till November 15, 2014 when the new crop is expected.
Al Doc PDF File/Link
- AM Best revises outlooks to negative for Farmers Mutual Fire Insurance Company 12-Nov-2019
- S&P upgrades Centene Corp by one notch to reflect its improved stand-alone credit quality 12-Nov-2019
- Overseas Pakistani workers remit $7.478 billion in four months 12-Nov-2019
- NAB Karachi arrests Haji Adam Jokhio 12-Nov-2019
- Locally assembles passenger car sales decline 56pc in October 2019 12-Nov-2019
- PIA to open its office at KCCI premises 12-Nov-2019
- SHC stays auction in petition by Hikmat Traders Notice of Contempt of Court issued to Collector, ADC, AC, Principal Appraiser PMBQ for Nov 14 12-Nov-2019
- SECP approves Growth Enterprise Market listing regulations 12-Nov-2019
- Lifenet Insurance launches Jibun 3 and Jibun 3 for Women 12-Nov-2019
- MODEC, Mitsui, MOL and Marubeni to proceed with the deepwater FPSO charter project in Brazil 12-Nov-2019